Thursday 27 May 2010

Earthquakes!

So, yesterday was my first earthquake!

Okay, that sounds really dramatic when it probably wasn't.  It was a 6.1 and it was out at sea, but we felt it in the house.  Me and James were in the lounge and I heard this rustling which I pointed out to James.  He hadn't heard anything so I listened and there it was again, only longer.  Like an animal caught in the gap between the ceiling and the floor above. And then it hit me: we were having an earthquake.

That was it really.  It came, it passed, the end. This house is built to survive way worse.  They do build things differently to the UK, they sort of have to.  The house is basically a reinforced concrete shell that they put together using what is essentially a giant mould to pour the concrete into.  No foundations as that just amplifies the vibrations caused by an earthquake.  So we live in what's basically a giant concrete shell sitting on the hill side.

Anyway, jujitsu last night was fun, we went over basics and then played with the clinch again.

Today I woke up and my body was in "ouch" mode.  Stiff, slow (although I always wake up stiff and slow).  I toyed with the idea of taking the day off, but just called myself a pussy and got myself onto the moped and got on with it.

Okay, taking the moped is lazy, but I was tired.  It was a mistake, however.  Which I'll come to later.  This is a picture of her, by the way:

Isn't she cute?  I call her Betsy II, in honour of the red Ford Granada estate we used to have when I was a kid.  Man, she was a work horse, and so's this Betsy, once she gets going.  Screeches a bit from my weight, mind.  I guess she doesn't quite like someone my my weight getting on her, but who does (geddit, haha!).

Apart from Javi!

HeHeHe!

Anyway, I drag my ass the to Budokan intent upon doing minimal... and of course I don't.  Here's what I did:





Mobility Warm Up
Bench Mark - Press Up 35, Pull Up 5, Chin Up 4, HLR 5, Dip 7, HLAR 10

Low numbers as stiff and sore and just not feeling it.  The idea was to do reps on the deadlift.

Deadlift: 70k x 8, 100k x 5, 130k x 3, 150k x 1 (grip going, switch to over under), 160k x 1, 170k x 1, 180k x 1, 180k x 1, 180k x 1

So much for taking it easy.

Bench: Bar x 20, 60k x 5, 80k x 3, 80k x 4, 90k x 3

Pull Up 6

Bicep (21 protocol) 20k x 45

Dip x 6

So, yeah.  I ignored my body and just got on with it.  Good idea, bad idea?  Dunno.  Have been constantly hungry all day since, however.

Went to Kamefuku for lunch, ate loads and my back seized up.  I sorted it later with some drain pipe time, but I have a theory: because I didn't cycle my back seized up!  I sit very straight on the moped and I don't move much, but the bike is a good cool down and keeps me moving.  That's the theory, we shall test next week!

Karate tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment