Monday 31 May 2010

Epic day of snorkling adventure!

Well, it's currently 15.41 and already it has been an epic day.  Am currently exhausted and writing this on James' computer so any spelling mistakes, please forgive. 

So, today me and Mike went to the Blue Cave for some snorkling.  His wife came with us, not to snork (or whatever the term is, though I like that... to snork) but to translate, liase and generally chill.


Here's the place on a map, it's called Madema Point, with Madema Flat being the beach next door. 

For 3000 Yen we got to snork for an hour and it was amazing! 

The cave is cool, but getting to it is ridiculous, you go down these staris cut into the coral, then you walk along the cliff edge! 


This is the cliff edge!










This is us entering the cave (the guide is with Mike)








The cave itself!

I know the picture isn't great but the water is about 5m deep! 

We sort of floated around in there and watched all the fish and it was awesome! Once your eyes adjusted to the light it really was a blue cave!



This is our guide, she was really nice.  There was another party in there with us and, like all Japanese people, they kept saying, "Soo-GOY!", which means, "Good/amazing/brilliant".  I've learnt that the Japanese don't have loads of words like we do (we have good, but brilliant is better than good and excellent is better than brilliant and perfect is best...), they make up for it by changing intonation and thereby changing impact of the word.  Anyway, there was a loud party and our guide let us stay back in the cave till they left and we got to explore in silence.  So peaceful.

Then we went outside!


This is me :)








Inside the cave my camera worked best as a video camera (I say my camera, but I'd borrowed James' water proof video camera thing) and I got loads of film recorded, so I'll stick them up on a Youtube site.  Outside It worked better for taking pictures, hence the one above. 

We got a hot dog each and crumpled it to feed the fishes, which was cool. 

And then, alas, we needed to come out, our hour had passed! 


This is the outside view of the ledge we had to walk across! 








And this is us in the water.











Once out and dried and set it was time for a drive around, checking out the air bases.  Kadena base, the biggest of them, is HUGE.  It took us about ten minutes to drive past the whole thing!

And then it was time for this place:


This place is an all you can eat meat place!

That's right, all you can eat!!!

For about £8!!

And you cook it yourself!


See, this is your table with a sort of BBQ pit, you put your meat in there and grill is to perfection!

Here's the meat buffet counter:


Between the three of us we had about 6 plates of meat!  I literally ate till I was like... uhhh.  It was a truly Hianese experience (that's a reference that about 6 people will get).  I also had a sweet corn thing, and it was so sweet. 

Mike's wife kindly paid for us, which was very sweet as I was going to as a thank you for taking me to the snorkling place.  Okinawans are so hospitable. 

And now I'm home, I'm stuffed and I need a nap, but I was so psyched I just had to write all this down. 

Jujitsu tonight, full contact sparring!

No comments:

Post a Comment