Monday 17 May 2010

Um, I think maybe I'm fit again...

Let me explain that; I haven't been unfit for some years now, but there's degrees of fitness - there's average baseline fitness where 50 push ups was nothing major and a mile run or so was okay and then there's the fitness I  had when I took my Shodan Ho, which was really fit, but getting to that fitness, let alone maintaining it was pretty boring.  

Anyway, last night me and James went down the Budokan for 3 hours to go through all the Fudoshin syllabus and tape it so that he would have it.  I was sore and stiff and tied from the morning's training but what the hell?  So we get warmed up and I had in my head about doing all the basic throws, but I was just tired so thought better than brining it up.  

James brought it up and I was like... shit, but let's go for it.  Now there's 23 basic throws and you do them in sets of 4, so that's 92 throws in all, being thrown and throwing.  It's draining and I wasn't looking forward to it and... and it was easy.  We went through them and I hardly got out of breath.  It was like, "Oh... hummm..." I guess all the fitness training was working.  We then went on to go through everything up to orange belt and take apart the knife techniques, analyse them and discard several.  There's a YouTube skit on the way too...  

At the end of our time we were drenched in sweat, it was a muggy night and my gi was literally see through with perspiration!  For a laugh we weighed ourselves on the way out the door and I came in at 102.4 kilos, keeping in mind that I was 104.9 that morning, that's a lot of water to sweat out!  

So... so, I'm wandering around at 104 kilos, roughly, and my throws have never been easier.  Have I gained masses of fitness in a few weeks?  Well, yeah, that's a part of it, I'm really fit currently, and very strong, but with it I've become... looser, more fluid.  I'm throwing without using strength so much, which makes it easier, and my breakfalls are waaaaay better (thank you James), so all those things combined mean that the throws come easier. It's like I'm half way towards maybe knowing what I'm sort of doing.  I may even get good at this one day.  Hummm...

In other news spent today cursing my iphone as it led me a merry way across Naha's greatest hills to meet up with Steve to buy sai and eat food.  Must have cycled 20km today, and with the leg work out yesterday, my legs do not like me at all.  Ate good sushi, bought sai, cycled far in muggy, muggy heat.  A good day.  

Karate tonight, so that should loosen me up!  


2 comments: